Derby enjoy last-gasp win at Carrow Road


Embed from Getty Images

Frank Lampard’s Derby County side produced a staggering comeback as they came from behind twice to edge out Norwich City at Carrow Road in a 4-3 success which was packed with drama from start-to-finish. The match was in huge doubt just seven minutes from time as the players were asked to leave the field of play due to a section of the floodlights which appeared to have failed. What happened when the match resumed was quite spectacular.

In the early phases of the match, it was the hosts who were creating the openings in front of goal, Todd Cantwell came mightily close to gifting Norwich the lead in just the second minute, but his header went marginally wide of Scott Carson’s goal. Then in the seventh minute, Harry Wilson’s strike hit the Norwich City wall before the hosts went down the other end as Hernandez forced a great save from Scott Carson. After a good spell of possesion, Norwich were rewarded as Ben Godfrey arrived at the back post to find the net. For the 20-year old full-back it was his first goal in a Norwich City shirt.

Following that opener, the hosts continued to bombard the Derby City box, and they were rewarded for their patience once again as Teemu Pukki fired home for his 11th goal of the season. At this stage, you couldn’t really see a way back into the game for Derby as the hosts were enjoying a decent spell of possession, but the away side managed to find a goal completely against the run of play as Fikayo Tomori unleashed a thunderous strike to leave Tim Krul stranded in the Norwich City goal.

After being out of the game for the majority of the first 45 minutes, Derby really came into some form at the back end of the first half. And, Jack Marriott had two grat chances to level the match up, the first effort was denied expertly by Tim Krul, and his second effort was dragged just wide of the post. And, right on the stroke of half-time, Derby’s persistence paid off as Mason Mount fired the ball into the net for his first goal since September.

Just reflecting on that first half, it was fast, it was franetic and there could’ve easily been more goals, and the second half had even more to offer.. In the second half, it was the away side that were pressing for a lead as Jack Marriott came close once again as he saw his effort deflected off target. In the first half of the second 45 minutes, there was a reasonably quiet spell as both sets of defences were resolute and reserved with very few opportunities being created.

On 79 minutes, Frank Lampard made his first change as Martyn Waghorn made way for Duane Holmes. Just a few minutes later, the hosts regained the lead as Onel Hernandez mishit his attempt at goal, but the ball fell to Teemu Pukki as the Fin fired the ball home for his second goal of the afternoon. Just seconds after Norwich regained the lead, more drama unfolded as both sets of players were asked to leave the field of play due to a floodlight failure. There was some serious doubt whether or not the action would resume or not as it was about 20 minutes before both teams had the all clear for play to resume at Carrow Road with just seven minutes to play.

Just as play resumed, Derby made their second change of the afternoon as Andrew Wisdom made way for David Nugent. More drama unfolded as Derby incredibly salvaged an equaliser as Florian Jozefzoon scrambled the ball home at the back post to level up the match for the second time in the match. But, more drama was to unfold at Carrow Road, Derby continued to press in the final minutes, and that pressure and perseverance paid off ultimately as Jack Marriott’s patience finally paid off as he chipped the ball over a stranded Tim Krul to send the away section of supporters crazy.

There were almost more late drama in the dying embers of the match as there was a goal-line scramble in the Derby Counter box, but it came to now avail as the referee blew his whistle to end proceedings. This was one of the craziest matches we’ve ever witnessed, packed with drama and seven goals. Frank Lampard was delighted with the way that his side recovered from 3-2 behind in a seven-minute turnaround for his Derby County side:

As for the Norwich City manager Daniel Farke, he was inconsolable after the defeat, and he admits that sloppiness cost him team this afternoon.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here