Nottingham Forest stun Leeds at the City Ground


Embed from Getty Images

Aitor Karanka’s Nottingham Forest side made a magnificent return to form as Forest saw off table toppers Leeds United in a sensational match at the City Ground. For Marcelo Bielsa’s side, that’s now two defeats on-the-spin, but they still have a two-point advantage at the top of the Sky Bet Championship.

Kranka’s side got off to a near perfect start as Jack Colback fired the hosts into an early lead with just six minutes on the clock as he placed the ball past Bailey Peacock-Farrell in the Leeds United goal. Leeds responded positively from going behind, and the away side almost salvaged an equaliser as Ezgjan Alioski found space just outside the Forest penalty area, but he steered his effort just wide.

Alioski created a few more openings as the away side were really asserting their dominance on the match, but Leeds didn’t quite have that cutting edge infront of goal. And just as Leeds were really starting to continously threaten the Forest goal, the away side were dealt a huge blow as Kalvin Phillips was dismissed for a horror tackle on Adlene Guedioura. And within minutes of the dismissal, Forest came so close to doubling their advantage as Daryl Murphy put through Joe Lolley one-on-one with Peacock-Farrell, and the Leeds shotstopper pulled off a splendid save to deny Forest a 2-0 lead.

At the interval, the home side were the happier of the two sides with a 1-0 advantage and a man up, Leeds certainly had their chances, but the red card evidently made a huge difference. But, it wasn’t all doom and gloom for Marcelo Bielsa and his team as just eight minutes into the second half, Jack Clarke fired the ball past Costel Pantilimon who really could’ve done better. Despite being reduced to ten men, the league leaders continued to push for more goals, and just ten minutes after levelling up the match, Ezgjan Alioski’s persistence eventually paid of as he gave the visitors the lead.

At this stage of the game, both sides were going all out as possession of the ball was end-to-end, and just five minutes after going behind, Jack Colback doubled his tally as he lashed the ball past a helpless Peacock-Farrell. The momentum was firmly swinging in favour of the home side as they continued to rain down on the Leeds United goal, and just three minutes after levelling the game up, Daryl Murphy gave the home side a well-earned lead as Murphy rose high to meet Ben Osborn’s expertly timed cross into the corner.

In a sensational ten-minute spell, Forest’s lead was increased even further as Ben Osborn cut inside from the land-hand side as he delivered a stunning strike into the top corner leaving Peacock-Farrell obsolutely stranded in the Leeds goal. Leeds managed to create a few openings to potentially get themselves back into the contest, but they came to no avail as Aitor Karanka’s side held firm to secure their first win in six matches in the Sky Bet Championship.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here