Longridge Town 7-2 Ashton Town | Post-Match analysis

Longridge Town were in rampant form as they saw off Ashton Town 7-2 on Wednesday evening. Photo : Paul Vause

Lee Ashcroft’s Longridge Town side enjoyed a thumping 7-2 victory in their Hallmark Security League Division One meeting with Ashton Town on Wednesday evening at the Mike Riding Ground. The home side were rampant from start-to-finish, and it was a solid display all-round from Ashcroft’s men as they returned to the top of the league table.




In what was an action-packed first 45-minutes for Longridge Town, the hosts got off to a great start, but they had to remain patient in their play. The home side thought that they’d been awarded a penalty-kick in the opening four minutes, but as the referee John Gillon consulted with his assistant, an offside decision was given. Following that, it was the away side that came very close to opening the scoring as Lee Dovey in the Longridge goal denied Ashton an almost certain goal. Just five minutes later on 24 minutes, Longridge took the lead as Tom Ince fired the ball past a helpless Thomas Goodwin in the Ashton Town goal following a splendid pass from Conor Linighan.

Within seconds of opening the scoring, the hosts doubled their lead as Richie Allen fired the ball home straight from the restart with some fantastic team play from Longridge. At this point, Ashton were right up against it as the home side continued to dominate the ball as they looked to improve their two-goal advantage. However, the away side managed to hold firm to head into the break just two-goals behind.


I imagine that the Longridge Town manager Lee Ashcroft had several positive words for his side during the interval, and despite heading into the break two goals to-the-good, it could’ve easily been a healthier lead for the home side. And, whatever Ashcroft said to his team during the break, it certainly did the trick. Within just three minutes of the second-half getting underway, the hosts extended their lead to 3-0 as Phil Doughty rose above the Ashton Town defence to head the ball home. It was quite an even start to the second 45-minutes as both teams retained possession well, and the away side’s grit and determination paid off as they found the net just ten minutes into the second half.

The home side continued to press for a fourth goal as they created a few openings, but nothing that tested the Ashton goal. But, just four minutes later, Tom Ince was in prime position as he latched onto a fantastic ball from Richie Allen as Ince found the net for the second time on the night. At this point, Longridge were running riot, and just two minutes after Tom Ince put the hosts 4-1 up, they found the net for the fifth time as Jay Hart fired the ball past a stranded Tom Goodwin in the Ashton Town goal.

The home side showed no signs of relenting as the continued to rain down on the Ashton goal, and with just 15-minutes to play, the hosts went on another two-minute rampage as they found the Ashton net twice in as many minutes as Paul Turner latched onto Jay Hart’s delicately placed pass to make it 6-1, before Hart found the net for the second time on the night to make it 7-1 which was well received by the Longridge faithful as they sung Jay Hart’s name in chorus. With just seconds to play, the away side did manage to get a consolation goal, and that’s all it was as the referee called an end to proceedings, and what performance it was by Lee Ashcroft’s men. A 7-2 score-line didn’t flatter Longridge Town in the slightest as it could’ve quite easily been double figures for the home side.

My Man of the match – JAY HART (pictured below / Longridge Town)


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here