Altrincham 3-1 Alfreton Town – Post-Match analysis

Jordan Hulme tucks the ball home as Altrincham enjoy a 3-1 victory over Alfreton Town. Photo : Jonathan Moore

Altrincham F.C hosted Alfreton Town on Saturday afternoon at the J.Davidson stadium in what was a mid-table clash in the National League North. Phil Parkinson’s side were full of confidence ahead of the clash, and with great home support at Moss Lane, the players were focused on giving nothing less than 100%.




In the opening minutes, it was the away side that created the games first opportunity as Richard Peniket picked out Josh Wilde from a quick-break, but Wilde was unable to convert the chance. Just seconds later, in the third minute, the hosts took the lead as Owen Dale fired the ball home as he latched onto a superb cross from Jordan Hulme. Almost immediately, the away side almost forced an equaliser with a superb free-kick, but almost seconds later at the other end, Sam Ramsbottom in the Alfreton goal was on hand to deny Jordan Hulme as the home side looked to double their lead.

In the 9th minute, Altrincham did double their lead, it was a great piece of play as Max Harrop turned Clackstone before firing a superb strike past a stranded Sam Ramsbottom. Phil Parkinson’s side were not letting up at all as they created chance-after-chance, Ramsbottom was called into action once more as he denied Hulme once more. But, after riding that storm, the away side started to come into the game as they created a few decent opportunities. Richard Peniket enjoyed a marvellous solo run as he had the beating of three of four challenges from Altrincham players, but unfortunately his low cross was hacked away to safety.

Jordan Hulme was in rampant form in the opening 25 minutes, as he fired the ball past Ramsbottom as the ball found the roof of the net. And, with a 3-0 lead for the home side, a way back into the game for Alfreton looked less, and less likely. The away side carried on pressing, but their attempts came to nothing as Altrincham stood firm.


The start to the second 45-minutes was rather quiet in comparison to the first half, but it was Alfreton who were creating all the openings, Sinott fired in a superb free-kick that was blocked twice by a sturdy Altrincham defence, the away side were getting visibly more and more frustrated as the match went on. But, Alfreton’s patience paid off eventually as Richard Peniket shielded off several challenges as he found the top corner with a stunning strike to reduce the deficit to 1-3. The visitors continued to press following Peniket’s strike, a series of corners for Alfreton unfortunately resulted in nothing. Ramsbottom in the Alfreton goal was called into action several times in the last 15 minutes as James Poole came close.


Altrincham’s flourish of goals in the opening 25 minutes proved to be the difference between the sides, the away side left Moss Lane very frustrated as they created spells of great play, but ultimately they came to nothing. As for Phil Parkinson’s side, they were ruthless in taking their chances, and defended solidly throughout the course of the match.

My Man of the Match – Jordan Hulme


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here