Sunday, April 11, 2021

Wolves stun Spurs at Wembley

Must Read

Tom Beresford
Sports journalist. Non-League football reporter. YouTuber, presenter, podcast host. Previously heard on FiveLive and Love Sport Radio. Managed by Epic Sports Management

Embed from Getty Images

Wolverhampton Wanderers completed a superb second-half comeback as Nuno Santo’s side came from a goal down to fire three goals past Tottenham Hotspur in the final 18 minutes at Wembley. Boly Willy, Raul Jimenez and Helder Costa all found the net in what was a remarkable last 20 minutes at Wembley. In the early phases of the match, it was Spurs who were raining down on the Wolves goal, but they were becoming more and more frustrated by the Wolves defensive line.

On 22 minutes, Tottenham’s persistence paid off as Harry Kane laced the ball home inside the Rui Patricio’s left post from just outside of the penalty area. Wolves started to come into the game just after Spurs had opened the scoring, and Nuno Santo’s side forced two corner kicks in quick succession, but they came no avail. on the half-hour mark, Spurs came mightily close to doubling their advantage, as Heung-Min Son seen his shot just whisker past the left post.

In the second half, it was pretty quiet in the first 15 minutes with no chances really being created and both sets of defences standing firm and resolute. On the hour mark, Wolves made their first change as Helder Costa entered the fray to replace Adama Traore. Ivan Cavaleiro saw his cross defelected out for a corner on 72 minutes as Wolves were really turning the heat on to Tottenham. From the resulting corner, Wolves managed to salvage an equaliser as Joao Moutinho’s corner was met by Wolly Bolly who smashed his header inside Lloris’ left hand post.

But, despite just conceding, Tottenham weren’t in in the mood to reflect on those missed opportunities to extend their lead as they forced a few corners, but they came to nothing in the end. The longer the match went on, the more Tottenham were getting frustrated. And, with that, Wolves were really growing into the game as they commited bodies forward. Just seven miutes from time, Raul Jimenez broke through the Tottenham defence as he latched on to a perfectly timed through ball to bury the ball past Hugo Lloris.

With three minutes from time, both teams were commiting bodies forward, and the home side came so close to an equalising goal as Kieran Trippier swung the ball into the Wolves penalty area, but Nuno Santo’s side managed the scramble the ball away to safety, and in the resulting attack, Wolves secured all three points as Matt Doherty played a delightful ball into the path of Helder Costa who showed superb composure the bury the ball past a stranded Hugo Lloris.

Following the memorable win at Wembley, Nuno Santo spoke to the media, and the Portuguese man was delighted as you’d imagine: “I’m so proud, what I think we had today was two very different halves. In the first half, we were very organised as Tottenham controlled the ball and had chances. But the most important thing was to stay in the game. And then in the second half, we tried to go for the game and play. I think the second half was fantastic. A very good performance. The boys played very well today.

- Advertisement -

More articles


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest News