Sunday, April 11, 2021

Wolves 4-3 Leicester City: Hat-trick hero Jota snatches late winner

Must Read

Tom Beresford
Sports journalist. Non-League football reporter. YouTuber, presenter, podcast host. Previously heard on FiveLive and Love Sport Radio. Managed by Epic Sports Management

Embed from Getty Images

Nuno Espirito Santo’s Wolverhampton Wanderers side snatched a late, late winner at Molineux to deny Leicester City who came back from behind twice to level the match. Diogo Jota stole the show with a hat-trick, it was an end-to-end battle from start-to-finish as the hosts grab all three points.


Wolves: Patricio, Bennett, Coady (C), Saiss, Jonny, Dendoncker, Neves, Vinagre, Moutinho, Jimenez, Jota.

Leicester City: Schmeichel, Chilwell, Maguire, Morgan (C), Simpson, Ndidi, Mendy, Barnes, Gray, Pereira, Vardy.


In what was a highly-attacking match from start-to-finish, both sides had their chances in the first few minutes at Molineux, Ruben Neves tested Kasper Schmeichel with a long range effort which Schmeichel just managed to tip over the bar. Just seconds later, Diogo Jota managed to latch onto Joao Moutinho’s lofted cross to fire the ball past a stranded Kasper Schmeichel. The visitors almost replied immediately as Jamie Vardy found himself one-on-one with Rui Patricio, but the Portuguese shot stopper launched himself towards Vardy to take the ball away from the Leicester frontman.

The host doubled their lead on 12 minutes as Ryan Bennett headed home Joao Moutinho’s corner into the right corner. Leicester were pushing for an immediate response as the visitors opened up several opportunities, but the Wolves defence remained resolute. Diogo Jota peeled off his marker to get on the end of a well supplied cross from the byline, but Schmeichel was equal to it with a great reflex save. Schmeichel was once again called into action as Raul Jimenez weaved his way through the Leicester City penalty area, but his low driven effort was dealt with by Schmeichel.


Despite being 2-0 behind at the break, Claude Puel’s side were determined to find a way back into the match, and it didn’t take the visitors long. Demerai Gray went on a fantastic solo run which ended with the 22-year old fired the ball past a helpless Rui Patricio to reduce the deficit just seconds into the second half. Patricio was calledinot action just a minute or so later to deny Harvey Barnes who was put through by Jamie Vardy. On 51 minutes, Leicester levelled up the match as Harvey Barnes was involved once again as he pounced on a loose ball to fire the ball past Rui Patricio and into the bottom right corner.

After a quiet ten-minute spell in the game, Wolves once again found themselves in front as Diogo Jota chested down a sensational 50-yard pass from Ruben Neves to fire the ball past Kasper Schmeichel for his second goal of the afternoon. Once again the game fizzled out for a brief period with nothing really being created by either side, Wolves looked like they were just going to see the game out, but Leicester City had other ideas. Jonny was booked for a late challenge on Nampalys Mendy, and the resulting free-kick from Maddison was nodded in at the back post by Wesley Morgan as the Leicester City captain looked to have snatched a late point for the visitors.

But, the home side weren’t done just yet, Diogo Jota had a sniff of a chance at goal late on, but he couldn’t quite get his shot away, then deep into injury time, Ruben Neves produced a delightful defence-splitting pass to pick out Raul Jimenez who played the ball to Diogo Jota who was on hand to complete his hat-trick and secure all three points for Nuno Espirito Santo’s side. Following the late winner, Santo was sent to the stands for invading the pitch to celebrate with his players.

- Advertisement -

More articles


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest News