Grimsby Town 0-0 Bury: Lowe’s Bury held at Blundell Park


Embed from Getty Images

Ryan Lowe’s Bury side were held to a goalless draw at Blundell Park as the visitors remain unbeaten in 2019. Bury were slow out of the blocks, but Lowe’s side were dominant in the second 45 minutes, and left Blundell Park frustrated, but content with just a point.


Grimsby Town: McKeown, Hall-Johnson, Davis, Ohman, Hendrie, Ring, Clifton, Hessenthaler, Woolford, Cook, Thomas.

Bury: Murphy, Thompson O’Connell, Adams (C), Mayor, Rossiter, Wharton, McFadzean, O’Shea, Lavery, Maynard.


In terms of creating chances, neither side really created any real clear-cut openings in the first 45 minutes, although Nicky Maynard’s curled effort on 18 minutes tested McKeown in the Grimsby Town goal. McKeown was called into action again just eight minutes later as he denied Eoghan O’Connell with a comfortable save at his right post. As the teams went in for half-time, the visitors were the happier of the two teams heading into th interval with some good spells of possession, and two decent chances.


Just three minutes into the second-half, Eoghan O’Connell once again came close as the Irishman unleashed an impressive strike from the edge of the box, but McKeown was equal to it with a sharp save. On 51 minutes, Bury created yet another decent opportunity as Wharton’s effort was cleared to safety by Grimsby’s resolute defence.

Down the other end, Grimsby threatened to take the lead against the run of play as Joe Murphy was on hand to tip Wes Thomas’ effort over the bar. On 64 minutes, Bury skipper Nicky Adams made way for Byron Moore as the visitors looked to increase the tempo.

Bury came close to opening the scoring once more as Danny Mayor attempted to pick out Caolan Lavery, but the cross was intercepted and almost put into his own net by Hendrie. As the visitors upped the ante, Nicky Maynard unleashed a powerful strike which stung the palms of Grimsby Town’s James McKeown.

Just 13 minutes from time, the visitors made their second change of the afternoon as Gold Omotayo replaced Caolan Lavery to offer Bury more options moving forward. As Bury continued to bombard the Grimsby Town defensive line, the visitors made their third and final change as Ryan Cooney replaced Callum McFadzean.

With four minutes of additional time awarded, the 691 travelling Bury supporters urged their team on to try and snatch a late winner, as they’ve done on several occasions this season, but as the referee blew the full-time whistle, the visitors will feel frustrated with just a point, but in terms of the season, Ryan Lowe’s side remain in a comfortable position in Sky Bet League Two.

Bury manager Ryan Lowe was full of praise for his side despite leaving Blundell Park with just a point.

“I thought we were slow first half, second half there was only one team in it. It’s a good point towards where we want to get to. We knew they’d get in our face, they haven’t lost in five and they’ve got some good players.

Lowe also went on to say: “I’m a little bit disappointed that we weren’t clinical but how can you be disappointed after we’ve scored so many this season?

“We’ve been magnificent all season so it’s hard to complain but I was disappointed that we just lacked that clinical edge today. I’m pleased that we got another clean sheet, I would have liked a goal but not too disappointed overall.”

Bury skipper Nicky Adams took to social media to air his feelings following the goalless draw


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here